Open-Source SDN/NFV and Carrier-Cloud Operation & Management technical expert. Current interests are on Open-Source Software, Cloud Computing, Network Function Virtualization (NFV), Software-Defined Networking (SDN), Cloud-Native Network Functions (CNF), Telecom 5G, Kubernetes and Linux.
For further information, please refer to my LinkedIn page.
Lead Principal Software Engineer (2021-present)
- Team lead in the Telco Engineering department, Office of the CTO.
Leading a cross-functional team contributing to and maintaining influence in industry-leading technologies (e.g. Kubernetes, OVN-Kubernetes, MetalLB, SR-IOV, DPDK), helping shape Red Hat OpenShift’s networking architecture, leading the development of new telecom networking features, and collaborating across the networking stack within Red Hat including RHEL and OpenShift teams.
- Lead and grow a high-performance team of globally distributed engineers
- Work with product managers and other teams to design roadmaps and schedules
- Coordinate with cross-functional managers and teams on documentation, product management, and quality assurance (QA) to coordinate tasks necessary for releasing enterprise-quality software
- Coach, mentor, and guide teams, fostering continuous improvement in a rapidly changing environment
Principal Software Engineer (2020-2021)
- Design and development of a BGP-based cloud platform for hyperscale datacenters
- Layer 3 network fabric (leaf-spine architecture)
- Layer 3 redundancy
- Inter-cluster connectivity
- Load-balancing multiple paths using equal-cost multi-path (ECMP)
- BGP Anycast
- VXLAN BGP EVPN–based overlay networks
Senior Software Engineer (2017-2020)
- Team lead in the Red Hat Cloud Network Engineering team.
- Led the productization of a new Load Balancing as a Service product offering, taking it through the stages of initial packaging, integration into the deployment tool, alterations necessary on behalf of the RHEL platform, creating new documentation guides, internal training, onboarding new team members, performance & scale work, standing up CI, coordination with the Quality Assurance and Product groups, and tracking release deliverables and GA criteria.
- Solicit, gather and share feedback from users, developers, and the industry
- Help connect interested and potential users/developers with the right folks within the community/project leadership
- Participate in local Meetups and other relevant gatherings
- Help onboard new users, contributors and members
- Represent OPNFV at industry events, social media, etc. by means of speaking on behalf of the project and by-line contributed articles and blog posts
Software Specialist (2016-2017)
- Open-Source SDN/NFV and Carrier-Cloud Operation & Management technical expert for NEC Telecom Carrier Business Units and NEC subsidiaries
- Responsibilities include gathering customer’s business requirements, scope evaluations and lead prospects through successful technical evaluations and proof-of-concepts
- Active contributions to open-source projects such as OPNFV, OpenStack and NFV MANO projects
Software Engineer (2014-2016)
- Researcher in the areas of Network Functions Virtualization and Carrier-Cloud Operation & Management
- Development of novel technologies and tools for the design, deployment, operation and management of cloud-native virtualized network functions as well as related prototyping and performance analysis
R&D Engineer (2012-2014)
- R&D Consultant Engineer for Portugal Telecom
Junior Researcher (2010-2011)
- R&D in the Advanced Mobile wIreless Network playground (AMAzING) platform
Systems and Network Administrator (2006-2013)
- Backend and frontend developer
- Deployment and administration of mid-size computer networks
- Portuguese community lead
- People of openSUSE lead
- RPM packaging
- Backend developer
- Technical support